Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Case File No. 253 - Deadline: May 31, 2018

Happy May! We're excited to start a new month. At CSI, that means new challenges, new sponsors, and new guest designers.

Our challenges stay open all month long. And did you know that you are welcome to submit as many layouts as you'd like for the challenges?

We're also excited to announce that we're having a design team call. You can check out the details here.

So, are you ready for the new challenge? Grab you forensics kits, CSI players, and get ready for some serious sleuthing as we open Case File No. 253.

CASE FILE

Did you know May is Creative Beginnings Month? How perfect a celebration for scrapbookers! With that in mind, we found this beautiful, creative Scene by Julie Hamilton to inspire our layouts.

Feel free to interpret the Case File in any way that inspires you, or for our traditional clues, scroll down to the bottom of this post.


For our Russian players, Detective Anastasia has translated our Case File into Russian:


Правила на русском языке вы можете прочитать здесь.




SPONSORS

We're so excited to have twelve generous sponsors this month! Our sponsors are among the best in the crafting industry, offering unique and trendy products. CLICK HERE to read more about these generous sponsors and the prizes they're donating.



GUEST DESIGNERS

We're excited have talented design team members from Mixed-Up Mag, Newton's Nook, and Scrapmatts joining us this month as Guest Detectives!


INSPIRATION

So...are you ready for some serious inspiration?

The very talented Guest Detectives from Mixed Up-Mag solved the Case like this:

Riikka's blog

How Riikka solved the Case File: I chose to go with the topic inspiration of the Testimony and document my gratitude for this lovely lady in the picture. It was amazing to be asked to her team. I also used two other Testimony inspirations as I wrote my journaling by hand and also used "beginnings" and "creative" to document my topic.

From the Evidence I included solid cardstock both in background and leaf details, stripes in patterned paper, wonky dots, die cuts, hand drawn details and metals in embellishments. I also included paint and circles as I did a mixed media inspired background which I adore doing! I even managed to use all the colors of the Case File in this layout!

Heather's blog

How Heather solved the Case File: The colour palette is just perfect for the photos I chose. The pictures from our recent trip to Stoke Bruerne and the locks and dams and the grass and the water matched to a tee. My Evidence: Stripes: I love the stripes of the wood on boats and matched my background paper for just that reason, which also matched the palette. Paint: I used paint on the background and also used it to add texture. Metal: I added metal nautical embellishments to fit the theme of the photos. Die-Cuts: I added themed die-cuts in the many layers of paper and flowers. 

Testimony: I used handwriting on the page, which for me, I tend to always leave off because I am afraid of messing up and not being able to cover it up.

Note: Heather will be sharing a process video for this layout on her YouTube channel.

Samantha Mann, from the Newton's Nook Design Team, brilliantly solvedthe Case File too:

Samantha's blog


Our amazing Guest Detectives from the Scrapmatts Design Team solved the Case File like this:

Lizzy's blog

Lisette's blog
How Lisette solved the Case File: I was inspired by: The colours - have used them all. Paint, circles, solid card stock as my base. The word beginnings inspired me as I used a photo my daughters recent university graduation and handwrittten journaling. I used lots of Scrapmatts products - the dots stencil, chipboard circle and the words.

Here is how the CSI Detectives have expertly cracked the case. You can read more about how the Case File inspired them on their blogs (links on sidebar).


How Annie solved the Case File: I went Old School again with this one and scrapped some pics from a scrapbooking workshop I went to just this weekend. Loved the image, used all the colours, scallops and wonky dots, some handcutting and doodling. Followed a fab sketch by Laura Whitaker for My Creative Scrapbook.


How Wendy solved the Case File: I had fun playing with gelatos, texture paste, stencils and fussy cutting plus a little doodling ! I sortof replicated the vase of leaves and flowers!
 

How Nina solved the Case File: I was inspired by the word creative and the scene. Here we are trying to build a boat to sail with at the cabin. Great fun!


How Sylvia solved the Case File: I was mostly inspired by the scene this time. I Loooove the works of Julie Hamilton. I pulled my colours from that image as well as the cut out details, the watercolour and the black pen work. I also used a white background.

Image may contain: 2 people

How Kim solved the Case File: I used the color palette, although a more watercolor hue/tone.


How Laura solved the Case File: The colors speak ocean to me, so I went with one of my favorite crafts; photography. Solid cardstock, die cuts, hand cutting, jar



How Carina solved the Case File: I was inspired by all the cutouts so I made a page about going to crops. It also made me think of sorting my embellishments by color. Last but not least - the bright and vivid colors makes me happy so I knew I just had to put them in this layout!



How Carrie solved the Case File: I used the traditional case file's prompt to use cut files, and I've been wanting to document Zae's love of his Ducky, which worked perfectly for this fun and playful color scheme. I also used stripes, leaves, and hand cutting. I handwrote the journaling about the beginning of Zae's attachment to his best stuffed friend.



How Vivian solved the Case File: I used the tradtional clues once again for this page - I was able to use 10 of the evidence clues! The splashes of red from the photo and the journaling prompt idea #39 (Tell about your bicycle experiences) from Paperclipping inspired this page. A recent mixed media class with Vicki Boutin inspired my ink treatment on the title chipboard word.


How Debbi solved the Case File: I used all the Evidence clues and the Scheme. I don't have journaling on this because I'm making a book for my pastor (she doesn't know). I grab photos from her Facebook page. The caption was written with this particular picture, right after her third dog died.



How Ginger solved the Case File: It is my grandson Jaxson during Easter. I love this little photo and the colors go perfect. He loves to give lots of hugs which I find that so sweet and love, love each one that I get.

How Libeeti solved the Case: I went the traditional way this time. I used all 5 colors. My clues were: solid background, solid cardstock, circles, washi tape, vase shape, hand-drawn elements (the lines and frame of the journaling spots), mixing color patterns with b/w pattern. My journaling is hand-written, and documenting a wonderful day we had on September 2014, a few weeks before my son was diagnosed.



How Lisa-Marie solved the Case File: I was inspired by the stripes, dots, circles, rectangles, squares, flowers and foliage in the image. I also loved the 'randomness' of the inspiration image - and that is what I tried to achieve in this layout. The first of my beloved father since his passing on 15 March.


No automatic alt text available.

How Magali solved the Case File: I picked the color combo, the stripes, the metal elements, the die cuts.



How Patty solved the Case File: I was inspired by the colors and thinking of a certain photo of my son.




CASE FILE CLUES 
Choose as few or as many as you are inspired to use!


EVIDENCE
  • solid background
  • solid cardstock
  • stripes
  • wonky dots
  • scallops
  • textured paper
  • die cuts/cut files
  • hand cutting
  • washi tape
  • leaves/branches
  • jar/vase shape
  • hand-drawn elements
  • paint
  • circles
  • combine colorful patterns with a black and white pattern
  • metal
TESTIMONY (JOURNALING IDEAS)
  • Topic: Document something about your creative hobby.
  • Prompt Idea: Choose a prompt from Paperclipping.
  • Presentation: Handwrite your journaling.
  • Writing Format: Write a list.
  • Inspiration Words: beginnings, creative, piece
THE SCHEME
  • 6.43.95 – navy blue
  • 91.202.195 – turquoise
  • 256.251.246 – white
  • 254.173.58 – marigold 
  • 137.166.47 – pear green

We trust we've left enough clues for you to solve the case!

The deadline for completing this Case File is Thursday, May 31, at 11:59 p.m. EST. Be sure to link your layout using the link tool in the sidebar, and mention the Evidence and Testimony clues you used. Also, please title your link with your name and country.

3 comments:

  1. Such diverse styles. Beautiful, each and every one. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun and inspiring Case file! I would love to join again after a long break. A question, though: you don't have an image of the colors anymore, just the codes. Is that on purpose, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salla, I forgot to add those, but I added them a while back. Sorry about that!

      Delete